At last, after a long time of spectulations and gossips, Google has released a browser – The Google Chrome. A beta release now. This move from Google has been said as the first potential move against Microsoft from a well supported platform. Chrome is built with open source components from firefox,webkit etc…Google released the first public beta of the browser yesterday (2nd September 2008). The beta is available for download at http://www.google.com/chrome. The chrome team reports some entirely new and amazing features of the chrome, that will make Chrome even better than Firefox, (atleast that’s what I thought when I read the cool features of chrome). All the features of chrome are described as a comic (38 pages!) available here. Better read it, it is so much explanatory and so easy to understand.Some of the features of Chrome
- Speed is great, I couldn’t yet find out which is faster – firefox or chrome. Both have competing speed.[Great]
- Web search. Web history. Address bar, all three in a single box.
- A special mode for private browsing incognito mode. – [Good][we can browse ‘off history’ in firefox too]
- See visual preview of your most visited sites, most used search engines, and recently bookmarked pages and closed tabs, every time you open a new tab!. – [Good]
- Create application shortcuts can directly load your favorite online apps –[This feature can be added to Firefox, if you install the addon called ‘prism’. Download Prism]
- Every tab you’re using is run independently(as separate processes) in the browser, so if one app crashes it won’t take anything else down. – [Great]
- You can drag tabs out of the browser to create new windows, gather multiple tabs into one window or arrange your tabs however you wish – [Cool]
- You will be warned when you are about to visit suspected phishing, malware or otherwise unsafe websites.[Available in most other browsers]
- Single Click bookmarking [Cool][Available in Firefox 3]
- Efficient memory usage and great performance. Starts up lot faster than firefox.[Great][I great advantage over firefox]
- A cool and great download manager [Good][Better than firefox]
- An inbuilt task manager (keyboard shortcut: shift+esc) – [Great]
Google Chrome has been reported for several compatibility issues already. Read more on compatibility issues.